The land that was to become Haddon Heights was settled in 1699 when a one-room brick house was constructed, probably by John Hinchman, at what is now 1019 North Park. In 1713, John Siddon built a farm house near Hinchman (1212 Sylvan). John Thorne Glover dammed King’s Run and constructed a mill race and fulling mill on this property prior to 1776.Jacob Hinchman built a frame dwelling no later than 1720 that was later enlarged by Revolutionary War hero Colonel Joseph Ellis. New Jersey Governor Joseph Bloomfield later purchased this property, now 1009 Sycamore Street. Members of the Glover family built a farm house in 1750 and enlarged it with a matching addition circa 1774 (1908 New Jersey Avenue).

Benjamin A. Lippincott, in 1890, was allowed to construct a passenger station in the center of his land for the Atlantic City Railroad Company. Then, Lippincott, with Charles Hillman, filed a grid street plan with Camden County to develop a community. They named it Haddon Heights because of its proximity to Haddonfield and its high elevation.

Large, comfortable, Princess Anne four squares and colonial revival type houses were constructed that appealed to prosperous middle class families moving from the cities. By 1904, Haddon Heights was large enough to incorporate as a borough and proceeded to elect Lippincott mayor. A small downtown grew near the railroad and the White Horse Pike and eight churches and a synagogue were built.

An area of old Center Township, known as Fairfield Estates, voted in 1926 to become part of Haddon Heights. This land was developed for more single family housing through the 1940s and 1950s. Even though rail passenger service ceased in July 1965, Haddon Heights remains a typical turn of the 20th century railroad suburb with tree-shaded streets and comfortable homes that still “appeal to the inhabitants and the observer as being of a class bordering on, if not quite, exclusive.”

Source: Adapted from the Haddon Heights Borough Website.


Timeline of Haddon Heights

1699 · John Hinchman arrives in town; oldest portion of the Hinchman-Hurley House constructed
1770s · First Glover Mill constructed
1823 · First Glover Mill burns down
1853 · “Poor’s Burying Ground” cemetery moved from Newton Township to present-day Kings Highway and First Avenue
1865 · Boundary established separating Haddon and Centre townships, crossing the White Horse Pike around Garden Street.
1876 · Railroad line opened through Heights to Atlantic City
1890 · Train station built
1890 · Haddon Heights Inn built
1897 · Catholic & Baptist Churches open
1898 · Evaul Brothers open a general store at the corner of Station & White Horse Pike
1902 · Haddon Heights Library established; first housed with the YMCA at 600 Station
1904 · Borough incorporated
1904 · Benjamin A. Lippincott becomes the first mayor
1904 · First meeting of the Fire Department
1904 · Haddon Heights Herald first published
1905 · Movie theater opens
1907 · First dentist’s office opens
1908 · Borough hall dedicated
1908 · First National Bank of Haddon Heights erected
1908 · Trolley line extended into town
1909 · Fire company moves into Municipal building
1910 · Haddon Heights High School graduates its first class
1911 · M. Albert Evoy is the town’s first undertaker
1911 · Sewage disposal plant built
1914 · Seventh Avenue School (then known as the “No. 2 School”) opens
1917 · Glover fulling mill torn down (foundation can still be seen in the park)
1921 · White Horse Pike paved
1923 · Haddon Heights Inn demolished
1924 · Current High School building opens
1924 · Movie theater reopens
1925 · Fire department moves into its own building
1926 · Fairfield Estates becomes part of the borough
1924 · Station Avenue widened
1927 · Concrete & steel Kings Highway bridge constructed over the tracks
1929 · Baptist Church burns down
1935 · Post Office built
1947 · Boundary with Haddonfield relocated
1951 · Boundary with Haddonfield again relocated
1951 · Glenview Avenue School built
1952 · Current sewage disposal plant built
1954 · Addition to High School approved
1961 · Haddon Glen built
1963 · Atlantic Avenue School opens
1965 · New Borough Hall constructed
1965 · New town library constructed
1965 · Railroad passenger service ceases
1976 · Stanfill Towers built
2004 · Centennial of the town’s incorporation